How to use this material
Print the Word pages with the exercises
Before you listen, read the text. Try to predict the kind of words the gap needs, brainstorm on synomyns.
Get the audio: the list with the link is below.
First Listening: Skim the text, just listen, relax. Try to identify the topic, the characters involved, the context. Visualize the story.
Second and Third Listenings: scan for the answers and fill in the gaps. Don't worry if you need to listen to the story three times or more. Write down how many times you needed to fill in all the gaps.
Check your answers
14 BBC 2005 news items (5 pages)
Audios for the 14 BBC 2005 news items
01. Civil Rights icon Rosa Parks dies
02. UNICEF report on education
03. World slow to face bird flu threat
04. Storm season ends
05. Spain's greenhouse gas problem
06. IMF discuss debt relief for 20 countries
07. London bomb attacks
08. New York subway search
09. Scientists study violence
10. Israel begins Gaza Strip pull-out
11. Aids continues to spread
12. Royal Mail prize for coming to work
13. The Oscars
14. New European anti-smoking campaign
Designing Reading Comprehension Activities (small groups)
Write 4 comprehension questions for each item - 2 questions should be on general comprehension (skimming) and the other 2 on specific information (scanning).
Send your Comprehension Questions (and answer key).